Thursday, January 02, 2014

It's the Little Things....

One of my goals for this year is to pay attention to the little things.  Little things are often the foundation for bigger things, and I want to build on that this year.

It was fitting that a co-worker sent me an invite to "Happier" just before the end of the year.  If you haven't checked it out, take a look.  It's sort of like Twitter for happy thoughts.  

Anyway, tonight I called my dad and spoke with him for nearly an hour.  He is in his 80's and has Alzheimer's, so an hour can seem like five hours or five minutes, depending on his state of mind.

The conversation was typical and meandered between reality and fiction, in short and long loops.  It is never really a conversation, as much as it is a monologue.  He told me stories, some multiple times with different twists, while I responded with polite, brief comments.  At one point it was obvious he had forgotten who was on the other end of the line, as he was telling me about a (fictitious) trip he had taken to visit his daughter in California.  

It can be draining and depressing, but near the end he asked about each of the kids by name.  He may not remember me, or realize he's talking to me, but he remembered his grandchildren and that made me smile.
   

No comments: