Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cooking Challenge

I love Pinterest.

Just like the wanna-be brides, I scour Pinterest for cool things that will most likely never happen.  In my case, it isn't shiny engagement rings or glitzy reception decor, it's recipes.  I have boards filled with soups and salads and entrees, comfort food and ethnic food and copycat recipes....I have it all.  

In reality though, I hate cooking.  (It's genetic, I believe.)  Oddly though, I love to bake.  I have a shelf full of cookbooks - the dessert and bread sections have with worn and tattered pages, while the remainder of the book is in pristine condition.  

While I know I will never really enjoy cooking, I have decided it is time to get out of our dinner funk.  The kids are older now, and (with the exception of Captain Awesome) not nearly as finicky as they used to be. 

With the help of Pinterest, I am doing a Cooking Challenge......one new recipe per week, rave about it or pitch it.  

Ready?

Go!

My first recipe is one I tried several weeks ago, and it was a HUGE hit.  So awesome, in fact, that I've made it three times since.  It is quick, easy, and perfect for summer nights.

The original recipe can be found here:  Spinach Salad with Chicken, Avocado, and Goat Cheese . (Whenever possible, I will post the link to the original source, as opposed to the Pinterest link....it's only fair.)

I did modify it a bit.  The Hubster doesn't care for spinach in salads, so I used romaine.  I eliminated the corn because corn just doesn't belong in a salad, IMO.  I added extra avocado (like, triple) because avocado makes everything better!!  

I used the dressing in the recipe, though it is a bit too mustard-y for my tastes.  (Everyone else loves it.)  I eat the salad without dressing.....it's just THAT good!!    

Enjoy!


No comments: